Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Perfectly Timed Message

Another birthday celebration -- this time in France!

  I woke up at 2 this morning. Not for a mid-night snack. Not to get up and go to the bathroom. And not for a glass of water.

  For good.

  I didn't plan on it that way, of course. But jet lag is still rearing its ugly head, so my eyes popped open at 2am like it was nothing. After roughly three hours of sleep.

  I turned on the BCS Championship game, and hoped that would entertain me for a while. But after Brent Musburger ever-so-gracefully talked his way into the realm of creeper status, and Alabama scored touchdown after touchdown, I had had enough football.

  I tried sleep again. But to no avail.

  So I flipped on a movie, and thought that might put me to sleep. Nope.

  When it became clear that sleep would escape me the rest of the morning, I started brainstorming. What could I do? Practice isn't until late this evening, so I have ALL day to kill. And when that day began before some had even gone to bed, no question, it was going to be a long day!

  What is the first thing I always do when I have time and energy on my hands? Run!

  I checked the weather. It wasn't too cold, and it wasn't too windy. Even though it was still dark, outside I went!

With Nana and my nieces -- minus one.
  Instead of my usual music playlists, I thought I'd turn on a podcast this go 'round. I had several of  Jillian Michaels' podcasts to catch up on, and I was in the mood to stimulate my mind a little, instead of drowning myself into music as I ran.

  One segment in that particular podcast struck a nerve. I had heard the ideas before, but it stuck with me as I ran. It was titled 'Failure Role Models'. And they talked about the many famous role models who had failed at various points in their careers (Bill Gates, Michael Jordan, Thomas Edison, Steven Spielberg, Steve Jobs, etc.).

  The second point they stressed during the segment was how important failure is in finding success. Through your failures, you learn. You alter your approach. You better yourself. You succeed.

Gearing up for a run in the cold!
  So many of us are afraid of failure. If you stop trying, simply to avoid failure, you're failing. All those people listed above, took a chance. They put their necks on the line over and over, til their goals came to fruition. And now look how they are regarded.

  'There's only one true failure, and that's never trying.' If you never try, you'll never accomplish anything. It's the safe way to live. Not trying. Not engaging.

  People fail over and over, all around us. Everyday. So it shouldn't be that scary. They pick themselves up, brush themselves off, and try again.

  That was my take-away during this morning's run in the dark. So I guess I can look at my jet lag as a blessing in disguise (for today, anyway). Because I don't know when I would have gotten to that podcast otherwise!

  As a new year has gotten underway, that is something I want to keep at the forefront of my life. Trying, engaging, putting my neck on the line, possibly failing -- both off the basketball court and on.

  You should try it too!

LINKS:

0 comments:

Post a Comment