Monday, December 10, 2012

"When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less."


vs. SIG 

  Game Recap Monday is going on hiatus.

  There's a saying that goes: "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." So after consecutive demoralizing blow out losses?!? As of now, I'm following that advice.

  I'm all for constructive criticism, and trying to improve. But that's been tried, over and over. And frankly, I'm out of good things to say. If you have nothing good to say, keep your mouth shut. Maybe that's a little harsh, but that's what the current situation is.

  So until we've turned things around, there won't be any game updates on Mondays from me. I'm tired of it. Tired of trying to find the bright spots. Tired of airing my frustrations about bad basketball. Tired of trying to figure out what's wrong -- why I'm on a team that is struggling this much, at this stage of my career.

  This year, and last, is the most I've ever lost as a pro. I've won an Italian Championship and Super Cup, played in EuroCup and the Polish All Star game, advanced to the championship series in Sweden (on a team that won 20-something consecutive games), and have been on a playoff team every season except last.

vs. SIG
  Winning is my habit. I'm not accustomed to losing week in and week out. And I never will become accustomed to it, nor do I want to be. It will never be acceptable.

  Part of the frustration comes because I'm doing nothing differently than I've done in those past seasons. My approach, my work, my play, my effort. Maybe that is the problem, who knows.

  Every athlete deals with failures and losing. You're never perfect, and your team is never perfect. Usually, you learn from the losses and mistakes. You and your teammates make adjustments and work harder -- to change the outcome, to improve the result. That's what separates winners from losers.

  Winners keep fighting, keep scrapping, keep looking for a way out of the hole. Losers quit.

  So I am at a loss for words.

  You don't want to get to the point where you're numb to losing. Where you don't feel anything.  Where the loss no longer stings, or puts a bad taste in your mouth. That's when you've given up, and you've accepted it.

  I'm not giving up, I'm just taking a different approach and re-evaluating.

  Whether I'm writing about my games or not, you can be certain that I will be working my tail off, no matter what, doing everything I can to turn this season into a winning one.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment