Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Dreaded Injury Bug

Season in Germany.

  Now that I'm officially off the injured list (well, kinda/sorta), I can write about what it's like to be out of action for a prolonged period of time. Couldn't write about it before I got back on the court because I couldn't have you guys feeling sorry for me!

  We all know injuries are a part of sports. If you put your body on the line often enough, you're bound to get hurt every once in a while.

  Unfortunately, some people get hurt more often than others. I haven't quite figured out the magical equation to that one yet. I've had years where all I suffered from was a few bruises. And I've also had years where I couldn't seem to stay on the court! Just luck of the draw, I guess.

  When you're out injured, you feel very isolated from your team. The great thing about team sports is actually being a PART of that team.

  The camaraderie, working hard together, joking together in the locker room, working towards a common goal, the togetherness. When you're injured for a prolonged period of time, that team and those dynamics are taken away.

  One or two days on the sideline might be manageable. But to me, anything more than that is too long. You'd do just about anything to get back out there and compete, and to be a part of the team again.

Luleå Basket, Sweden (2008-2009)
  Sure, you ARE still a member of that team. But it's different when you're not on the court working with them. You can cheer them on all you want, but you don't feel exactly what they're feeling at the moment. You don't know how tired their legs are. Or how sore their muscles are. When you're not going through that same trials, it's not quite the same.

  I don't know how this compares with other professions. In what other job can you actually go to work, but are not able to actively participate in your daily obligations? It's a very strange dynamic that's for sure.

  Then you have to deal with the time frame until you're back on the court 100%. If you're out 'too long', you feel like people start questioning your commitment and toughness. I always struggle with this. Because you was so badly to return to action. But if you come back too soon, due to pressure from management, coaches, fans, etc, then you can potentially do more damage.

  As I've gained more experience (unfortunately, I've spent way too much time in the training room over the years), I've learned that it is best to go with your gut, and listen to your body. Only you know how you feel. And only you know when you feel 100% confident in returning.

  Once you do get back on the court, you have to work that much harder. While you were out, I'm sure you were doing some cardio to try stay in shape. But again, it's just not the same.

Wolfenbüttel Wildcats, Germany (2009-2010)
  You can't simulate the stop and go intervals of practice on a stationary bike, or in a pool. You have to be on the court to get that conditioning. You also have to work to chip the rust off your game. When you don't have that ball in your hands, you lose the touch, the feel for the game. Your timing is off, and your skills aren't sharp.

  So those first couple days back, you have to put in extra work to get back to where you want to be.

  I think being injured is harder mentally than it is physically. For me, it's easy to put in the work (the rehab, the conditioning, the skill work). But it's having that patience to let your body heal, to keep the big picture in mind. That is most difficult.

  For example, my regular season opens up this weekend. What if I'm not 100% by Saturday? Do I risk going on the court and re-injuring myself? Or do look at the big picture and remember that it's a long season? That's where you have to trust yourself to make the right decision because you have to be completely confident when you're on the court.


CU Buffs (2001-2002)
  No one ever wishes to be hurt, or can predict when it will happen. It's just a part of athletics.

  As a competitor, you live to be out on the court/playing field. And you can only watch for so long, before you start to get frustrated.

  For me the key is to work your hardest on the things you can do, and try your best to remain patient and positive. Outside of those things, there's really not much else you can do, but heal!


1 comment:

  1. I GUESS NEVER BEEN ON A PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL TEAM I REALLY DON'T KNOW HOW IT FEELS BEING INJURED. I CAN RELATE TO NOT BEING ABLE TO DO THINGS I LOVE TO DO LIKE BEING ABLE TO JUST WALK ON MY LEG. THESE PAST 4 1/2 MONTH HAS BEEN HARD. HAVING DO USE THE CPM MACHINE FOR 6HRS A DAY AND PT 2 TIMES A FEW FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS AND THE HOMEWORK TO DO. THE UPSIDE TO ALL OF THIS IS NOT BEING IN PAIN AND THAT MY KNEE WILL BE LIKE NEW. I HOPE YOUR INJURY WAS A SIMPLE ONE AND YOU WE BACK ON THE COURT QUICKLY. 17TH JAN. 2012 @4:06 AAM DLG

    ReplyDelete